The XSTN-K upgrades are a series of legendary artifact upgrades that are seemingly related to the Xsotan. These upgrades are typically rewards for major quests or boss fights, and are used as extremely powerful upgrades, and to open up the portal to enter The Core.
Each XSTN-K gives a specific and unique buff that is related to the method of obtainment when equipped and, typically, permanently installed. As an example, fighting Boss Swoks, a pirate kingpin, yields an Armed Turret Slot Artifact, XSTN-III.
When searching hidden mass sectors close to the barrier, the player may find a structure of 8 asteroids in a circle, numbered from I to VIII. The player is then intended to create 8 distinct ships and put one of each Xsotan Upgrade in a separate ship and place the ship in front of the asteroid with the number of the artifact the ship has. When all 8 ships are placed next to their respective ominous asteroids, a wormhole to cross The Barrier is created, and the endgame begins.
Note that you need to permanently install all artifacts (with the exception of the Exodus Artifact, XSTN-I) for them to work.
Below is a list of all of the upgrades, what they can be used for, and the basic description on how to get. While each upgrade is unique, it is possible to have multiples of the same upgrade across your fleet. This means you can have more than one ship with the XSTN-I upgrade, but each ship can only have a single copy of that upgrade.
- XSTN-I: Project Exodus - Allows you to unlock the Ancient Gateways to escape the alien threat. This is the only artifact that does not need to be permanently installed to function.
- XSTN-II: Researched at the Research Station with three Legendary Upgrades (Artifacts count!) - Potentially an error, but +8 Arbitrary Turret and +6 Auto-Turret Slots speaks for itself.
- XSTN-III: Pirate Captain Swoks - Enforces military supremacy. And/or piracy. Gives +10 slots to Armed Turrets and +6 Auto-Turrets.
- XSTN-IV: Sold by the Traveling Equipment Salesman - For those who've traded their way to the very top. Or are just generally rich. Gives +10 slots to Unarmed Turrets and +6 Auto-Turrets
- XSTN-V: Artifact Delivery Quest - A general improvement to all stats, for a true adventurer. Gives +30% Generated Energy, +25% Battery Recharge, +2 Armed Turret Slots, +1 Arbitrary Turret Slot, +2 Unarmed Turret Slots, +25% Shield Durability, +1 Jump Range, -15% Recharge Energy, +30% Cargo Hold, +30% Velocity, +0.1 Km Loot Collection Range, +3 Deep Scan Range, +5 Radar Range.
- XSTN-VI: The AI - Allows the AI to control your turrets and fighters, removing requirements for miners and gunners, adding +4 squadrons and 1200 pilot workforce. (Note: AI pilots appear to either be very bad at dodging enemy fire or don't bother attempting to dodge. Proceed with caution if you plan to use AI pilots in combat fighters.)
- XSTN-VII: MAD Science Mobile Energy Lab - The result of extensive research into energy sciences. Increases energy production by 200% and increases battery recharge rate by 125%.
- XSTN-VIII: Bottan the Smuggler - Massively boosts your Jump Drive, making you near impossible to catch. +7 Jump Range, -50% hyperspace cooldown, and -80% recharge energy.