System Upgrades can increase your ship's performance in various categories and also add some more features to your systems.
All upgrades slots, except the first, require a set amount of Processing Power be reached before that upgrade slot becomes available to a maximum of fifteen. However, this limit is also further limited by your Building Knowledge as of 2.0, with the limit being at 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, and 15 respectively for Iron, Titanium, Naonite, Trinium, Xanion, Ogonite, and Avorion. Furthermore, most upgrades cost significant amounts of Energy.
Some upgrades can come in different material variations and every upgrade type can occur in all the different rarities, except for Artifacts. A higher rarity usually goes along with better modifiers.
The seven tiers of upgrades are as follows:
- Petty (Gray in colour, the worst quality, strangely, this quality is more rare than common)
- Common (White in colour, and as the name suggest, this is the most common upgrade tier)
- Uncommon (Green in colour)
- Rare (Blue in colour)
- Exceptional (Orange/Yellow in colour)
- Exotic (Red in colour)
- Legendary (Purple in colour)
Installing System Upgrades
You can install system upgrades to your ship from the ship menu (Default Hotkey 'P'). From there you have to select the "Systems" tab, which is the third from the left. Add or remove upgrades from the slots in the top portion of the tab by dragging or right-clicking the upgrades.
You can install System Upgrades permanently for improved stats by right-clicking them. To remove a permanently installed upgrade, you must be close to an Equipment Dock, Mobile Equipment Merchant or Trade Guild Merchant. As of 2.0, the game will alert you when you can remove permanently installed upgrades.
Otherwise it will be destroyed when you try to remove it.
Acquiring System Upgrades
System Upgrades can be acquired in several ways.
- You can collect them during battles where they have a chance to drop from destroyed Blocks. This also means that shooting or salvaging wreckages can result in them dropping from time to time.
- You can buy them from a equipment merchant or a Equipment Dock.
- You can research them from at a Research Station.
- They can be found in Secret Stashes (along with large amounts of money, often around 100k).
- You can get them as a reward for doing Events or Missions.